Checking for mold in your house is part of smart household maintenance. Mold grows in damp, dark areas and can cause serious damage to your house and health if it grows undetected. Knowing how to check for mold in your house is an important part of saving money, health problems and your home’s structure.
1. Check areas with water pipes. The sinks in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements are the first place to check. Toilets have supply valves as well. Look near water sources for any leaks, and shine a flashlight around the water pipes, valves and faucets to check for mold.
2. Examine the perimeter of your foundation. Go around the outside of your house with a flashlight. Cut back any bushes, weeds, flowers or trees that touch the house. Mold can grow quickly in these areas, and a foundation perimeter check and trimming are part of mold control.
3. Check your basement’s perimeter. Go into the basement and check every section of the floor and ceiling for water leaks, mold or mildew. If you have carpeting in the basement, touch it with a bare hand. If it’s damp, you may have water issues, and where water sets in, mold follows.
4. In your basement, check closets and window wells. Additionally, natural fibers, such as cotton and wool, tend to attract mildew and mold as well. Check any boxes that might contain clothing or knit items to see if mold has set in.
5. Climb into the attic and do a perimeter check. If you detect mold or water leaks, you may have roof damage that requires professional intervention.
6. Examine any attic closets and attic storage boxes for mold.
Tips & Warnings:
- If you find mold, search the area carefully until you find all of it. Mark the area and stop the source of water or damage that is allowing the mold to grow.
- Don’t touch mold directly.
- Wear a face mask when dealing with mold in enclosed spaces.
- Contact a professional if you see any black mold.
If you have any questions about mold detection & mold removal, call us today!
AIR Consulting Services, LLC
301 E Ward Street
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Phone: 609.371.2489 · Fax: 609.371.0827